Wednesday 19 March 2008

Domestic bliss

VERSE 1
Em                 D
Mornings in a foreign home
C                  G
Sing to start the day
Em            D
In a friend of friend's apartment
C                       G
While they're away

Domestic bliss
Don’t get better than this
None of the long lists
I’ve been meaning to do

I don’t look to alter
Nothing’s out of place
It’s an enforced holiday
For a mind like my mine

CHORUS 1
C
She makes a cup of coffee
Am                 G
With love and care
C
Then pours it for me
Am             G
Warm and milky

She draws a picture of me
A likeness she says
I defensively cry
Big head big ideas, dear
Am        G
Big head big ideas

VERSE 2
The arrangement of the furniture
The absence of TV
Sets our mind to thinking
Of how we should be

Reading their possessions
Imagining how they are
Two lives come together
What’s his and what’s hers?

His vinyl piles
And the books on birds
While the mural in the bathroom
Speaks a woman’s words

CHORUS


MIDDLE
Am
It’s easy to make friends
                          C
When you’ve a dog or a guitar
G
I prefer the latter
D
It can wait in cars


VERSE 3
Candles burnt down
We will replace
The gas from the long baths
We trust to the faith

That we will offer them our place
When they come to our town
And we will leave them alone
Let them snoop around

CHORUS

No comments: