Sunday 28 September 2008

Soul seller

Soul seller
By Jack Stafford

VERSE 1
F
Everyone was so friendly
They put it very nice
And they know that you’re selling
Before you name the price

CHORUS
Bf
I sold my soul somehow
I sold my soul somehow today

VERSE 2
It was too much to turn down
But not enough to flee
Somebody’s going to get rich
It might as well be me

CHORUS

VERSE 3
I was thinking of the future
Of my unborn kids
How will I provide for them?
So this is what I did

CHORUS

VERSE 4
It all happened so innocently
The devil is your friend
And before I had to think about it
The money was in my hand

CHORUS

MIDDLE
C
The good times
Bf
And the memories
F
Both fade

Tarnished
By the knowledge
Of how they were paid

Cos at the end
All I have left
Is my pride

VERSE 5
It only took an instant
Nobody got hurt
But a little piece of me died
When I said those words

CHORUS

VERSE 6
I’ll tell you your first regret
As you’re walking out the door
It’s not if you should have done it
It’s that I should have asked for more

CHORUS

VERSE 7
I want to keep it quiet
But word will get around
Then just when I least expect it
I’ll hear that awful sound

CHORUS

VERSE 8
By saying it’s that one time
I keep my conscience clear
But the money’s almost gone
And I know they’ll be next year

CHORUS

No comments: