Wednesday 7 June 2023

Afterlife of a painting

Now I'm convinced and I admit that dead is better
Only as long as there's a way to live forever

The choice was clear then as it is now
I walk the path for immortality

I lived bold with elegance and a sense of pride
Then passed away irrelevant and cast aside

Today I'm the beautiful queen you have crowned
Tomorrow I'm another woman drowned

I was the image of perfect grace
Encapsulated by the painter's trace

I keep the paintings in the afterlife
And for the image I paid the price

The people saw themselves in me with fallen grace
Then tore me down relentlessly to my disgrace

Today I'm the beautiful queen you have crowned
Tomorrow I'm another woman drowned

The fruit is gone now, the tree is bare
And though you've seen me, you will not stare

No comments: